Monday, November 10, 2003

Synchronicity At The Book Shop

I go into the book store yesterday with an inkling for something in the Current Events section. In this particular case, it's the Political Science section of Borders. The last time I came in, I started from the beginning of the alphabet, and didn't make it all the way through, so this time I start from the end of the alphabet.

The very first book I see, that catches my attention, is tucked into the edge. Black, but with interesting colored lettering. The Future of Freedom by Fareed Zakaria. I glance it over and I'm thinking...wow. This is right on the theme of "freedom before democracy". Or along the same lines anyway.

So I buy it. Along with Superpower Syndrome by Robert Jay Lifton, which comes at things from a psychological perspective. I'm enjoying both of these books, and really didn't know anyone was thinking along these lines. You don't really hear it out here.

It almost seems impossible to keep up with all the books that come out though, to even know who's pursuing what ideas outside the political and media mainstream. I know that here in the blogosphere, ideologies seem to harden fast, and the rest is pure struggle and conflict between believers. Not a lot of independent thinking going on, to put it another way.

Putting aside our partisan political battles, and coming up with solutions for today, for our political malaise, for our challenges around the world, seems of the first order. We don't really have time to wait until 2004 to start coming up with original ideas and effective plans for dealing with our reality as we experience it today.

With that in mind, what is the future of freedom? How can we secure freedom and peace in the world?

I'll report back on Zakaria's book in a few days. In the meantime, the following Stream Of Commute is also from last night.